A woman was left almost unrecognisable after her face swelled up and became covered in a rash – because of her PHONE CASE.
When pretty marketing manager Jenny, 30, splashed out on an iPhone 4, she ordered a case to protect her expensive investment.
Eventually, the sensation developed into a constant itch around her ear which led to a rash forming on her face.
Disturbed Jenny went straight to hospital, but an “unsympathetic” doc sent her away and advised her to take some over-the-counter antihistamines.
She insisted that the reaction was more serious but was sent home and told to try the tablets.
By the following morning, Jenny’s allergic reaction had become so bad that she couldn’t open one of her eyes.
Within four or five days, the rash had spread to her chest and her face and neck had become swollen, itchy and raw to the touch.
Jenny said: “I knew this was going to be quite a bad reaction, but it wasn’t until I went home that the swelling got worse.
“My neck looked like a roll of sausages, and I knew I definitely needed to go back to the doctors.
“When I saw a new doctor they examined my throat and they got concerned when they couldn’t see down there.
“I couldn’t swallow properly, so the doctors booked me in to another hospital and told me to go there straight away.”
Jenny was referred to the dermatology clinic at Royal Liverpool University Hospital, where she underwent a whopping 140 patch tests.
The tests, which normally identify several allergies, showed up an incredible 13 on Jenny.
It was during her time at the dermatology clinic that doctors told Jenny they thought the problem could be her phone case.
She said: “You could literally see the shape of where the phone had been on my face, lots of little spots came up in the same area.
“You could see a distinctive mobile phone shape, there was no question of what it was.
“My mum didn’t recognise me at first, she gasped in shock when she saw me, she was appalled.
“She thought I’d stay like that forever.”
Devastated Jenny was slapped with a list of products that she would have to avoid, including 20-pence pieces, door handles,
Bizarrely, doctors even warned Jenny off make-up products she had been using all her life.
She said: “The doctors said that just because I hadn’t had a reaction up to that point, it didn’t mean that I wouldn’t have one in the future.”
The keen violin player was also told that the varnish used to treat the instrument could also trigger a reaction.
Despite her best efforts to get an answer from case manufacturer Griffin about the chemicals used in its products, Jenny was unable to get a straight answer from the firm.
She said: ”The doctors gave me advice like wearing gloves when I handle money, but I don’t do that as I’ve never had an issue with it before.
“But I’m super-careful and I do anything I can to avoid setting off my allergies.
“I’m going on a spa date with my boyfriend’s sister soon and stuff like that makes me really uncomfortable because you don’t know what goes on your body when you go to places like that.
“It’s really hard to get involved unless I take a few risks when I probably shouldn’t.
“Since the incident with the phone case I’ve become a lot more sensitive to the sun – I used to tan really well but now I have to be really careful.
“And then I have to be really careful in terms of what chemicals are used in suntan lotions because I could have a reaction to that as well.
“The last bad reaction I had was at Christmas last year when I had a reaction to some kind of make-up.
“I borrowed some off my mum, and it made my eye swell up so that I couldn’t see out of it.
“It was probably a stupid thing to do but I sometimes completely forget what I’m meant to be doing and what I’m not supposed to do.”