Arizona man suffers second-degree burns when iPhone 6 bends, catches fire in pocket, he claims

Posted in iPhone News by admin. Published October 25th, 2014

Arizona man suffers second-degree burns when iPhone 6 bends, catches fire in pocket, he claims

Phillip Lechter says he was riding in a rickshaw when a minor accident pushed him halfway out of his seat. He didn’t think he was hurt — until he smelled smoke. The Scottsdale dad said his phone’s battery popped when the device bent in half, causing it to catch fire and burn through his pocket and boxers, leaving his thigh with second-degree burns.


An Arizona man said his new iPhone 6 bent in half and then burst into flames while it was still in his pocket.

Phillip Lechter suffered second-degree burns after his sizzling phone burned through his pocket and his boxers during a minor rickshaw accident, he wrote in a blog post. The phone’s lithium battery popped out, causing the fire, he said.

The Scottsdale business coach’s nightmare happened at the University of Arizona’s family weekend earlier this month.

As his family headed to a football tailgate, they noticed some rickshaw drivers on the street and decided to take a ride instead of walk. The party of six piled into two carts.

But just a block into the cruise, the driver steering Lechter’s wagon lost his balance, and the rickshaw tipped over. Lechter, his wife and his 7-year-old son were not thrown out of their seats — instead, Lechter stopped the would-be-tumble, and sat half-on, half-off the rickshaw.

That’s when his leg started to feel hot, he said.

“I felt a burning sensation on my leg and then saw and smelled smoke from my pants,” he wrote.

He continued: “The smoke was thick and I quickly laid down to get the APPLE iPhone 6 out of my pocket. The smell was disturbing. I could feel my leg burning.”

Lechter said his fingers were not burned as he pulled the scorching phone from his pocket because he grabbed it by its leather case, not its sizzling screen.

He tossed the phone — which was severely bent — to the side. A witness burned his fingers when he tried to pick up the phone without its case, Lechter wrote. Another witness dumped a cup of ice water on the device to cool it down.

The phone’s lithium battery “popped” during the accident, causing the burn, he told Fox 10 Phoenix, adding Apple did replace his phone.

Lechter said he suffered second-degree burns to the top of his thigh and his hip. A doctor prescribed antibiotics and painkillers.

While Lechter’s burns may be severe, the incident was an extremely rare occurrence.

Lechter’s iPhone 6 isn’t be the first to bend. After the phone’s September launch, some customers complained their new Apple devices bent in their pants’ pockets. Those crooks were minor compared to Lechter’s nearly 90-degree bend.

In February, an eighth-grader from Maine suffered burns after her iPhone exploded in her back pocket.

[Thanks: http://www.nydailynews.com]

iPhone-News-Updated


Share this :
[ del.icio.us | Google | Linkagogo | Digg | reddit | Squidoo | StumbleUpon | Yahoo MyWeb ]

Buy iPhone from Amazon

Comments are closed.


Search

Follow me on Twitter

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Buy iPhone from Amazon

Pages


Recent post


Tag cloud


Categories

Gadget Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Powered by  MyPagerank.Net
surfgopher.com

website monitoring service

site statistics
eXTReMe Tracker



iPhoneFan
Wordpress Theme


Designed by Bacteriano based on iPhone PSD file designed by Manicho.