According to the user, the Apple service centre refused to register his complaint following which he filed an FIR at the Sushant Lok Police Station.
An iPhone 6 user in Gurgaon has alleged that his two-day old handset heated up and exploded during a call. But he escaped without injuries since he was using the hands-free mode.
It’s the first such case reported in India since the launch of iPhone 6 here in October 2014. An Apple representative said the company was looking into the Gurgaon incident and it hadn’t previously received any such complaint about the iPhone 6 in India.
But it’s not unheard of either. According to media reports in the United States, a man in Long Island had complained this March that his iPhone 6 burst into flames in his pocket, causing third degree burns.
The Gurgaon incident allegedly happened on June 20 but came to light on Tuesday after the user — Kishan Yadav, a restaurateur — filed a police complaint and an FIR was registered.
Yadav claimed he bought an iPhone 6 from a leading mobile shop at Galleria market for Rs 60,000 on June 18 — a grey-coloured 64GB version. He thanked his stars that when the phone blew up a couple of days later, he was using the hands-free mode.
Yadav claimed he was in his car on MG Road talking to a friend whom he was about to meet when he noticed sparks in the phone. He said he threw the phone out of the car when he found the handset had become very hot and it exploded as soon as it hit the ground. “My face could have got burn as the phone exploded in a matter of seconds. When I threw the phone, the call was on and the battery was around 70%,” said Yadav.
On Monday, Yadav took the phone to the shop he bought it from and was redirected to the Apple service centre. He claimed its staff suggested that he deposit the phone with them and they would get back to him with an update. Later, he filed a police complaint.